Friday, September 25, 2015

WAYSIDE SCHOOL IS FALLING DOWN


Review of WAYSIDE SCHOOL IS FALLING DOWN by LOUIS SACHAR

The second collection of wacky tales from wayside school made me laugh even more than the first. While the humor in these middle reader books will appeal most to kids, adults will still appreciate the satiric absurdity.

The book opens with one of the stories that stuck with me ever since I first read these books back in elementary school. Chapter 1 follows the yard teacher Louis’ (Did you catch that?) valiant struggle bringing a heavy package to Mrs. Jewls all the way on the thirtieth story and ends with the revelation of the package’s contents as well as Mrs. Jewls’ agenda for said contents. I’m smiling again just thinking about it.

My other favorites include “Homework,” “Kathy and DJ,” “What?,” and “The Substitute.” I feel like I went to school with kids from “Homework” while “Kathy and DJ” provides another sweet if silly moral about a positive attitude. “What?” is actually told backwards, so I suggest flipping to the end of the chapter and starting from there. Last the namesake substitute in “The Substitute” uses the children’s own cleverness against them to trick them into actually studying.

Another fun collection of hilarious stories from wayside school. Perfect bedtime reading for younger readers, since the chapters each tell a short but complete tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment