Monday, September 29, 2014

ALL MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD

 
Review of ALL MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD by AVERY MONSEN and JORY JOHN

I first discovered this book sitting on staff pick shelves at an independent bookstore. It’s a riot.

Though stylized with picture book reminiscent illustrations, this is no children’s book. Rather it’s a twisted take on simplistic picture book refrains. Except rather than a sentence like “My friends and I went to the park,” we get the wry “All my friends are dead” beside an illustration of a befuddle dinosaur.

Turns out that, contrary to picture book idealization, a lot of creatures (and objects) have friend problems. “All my friends expired on Tuesday,” laments the milk cartoon.

Another great book to leave sitting around your house as a conversation starter.  If you like this one, be sure to look for the sequel ALL MY FRIENDS ARE STILL DEAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment