Friday, June 6, 2014

I COULD PEE ON THIS


Review of I COULD PEE ON THIS: AND OTHER POEMS BY CATS by FRANCESCO MARCIULIANO

This book became a bestseller one holiday season and sold out nationwide and I’m guessing it’s because these humorous poems “by” cats appeal to, well, anyone who has ever met a cat.

Personally, I’m a dog person. I’ve trained three Guide Dogs for the Blind, worked as a doggie daycare attendant and dog trainer, and studied up on both dog body language and various training philosophies and techniques. I like dogs and I understand dogs. Cats...not so much. However, I consider myself an animal person overall, drawn to helping out any animal in need, which is how I found myself adopting a stray cat despite my protests of being a dog person. And, yes, I COULD PEE ON THIS concisely summarizes my baffled grasp of cat mentality.

My favorite poem has to be “Sushi” -

Did you really think
That you could hide fish in rice?
Oh, the green paste burns!

- but I also particularly like “Closed Door” and “Busy, Busy.”

In short, a perfect gift for any self-described cat person, a great gift for anyone who owns a cat, and an amusing read for anyone who has ever met a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment