Monday, February 17, 2014

The Art of Reading: Music vs. Quiet


All bibliophiles have at least one thing in common: the love of books. Still, as I'm reminded every time I talk to another reader, that doesn't mean we express our affection for the written word in exactly the same way. I'm referring to how we read.

This post's theme: reading with music on in the background. Any preferences about what kind of music you want on while you’re reading? Or do you prefer quiet?

I prefer quiet. Part of the wonder of a good book for me, whether fiction or nonfiction, is how the real world fades away until there’s only me and these words. Reading is (no surprise) a favorite form of relaxation for me, but sometimes I think it even circles close to meditation. While in meditation the goal is usually to think of absolute nothing, reading still requires focused attention: think only of this book. As someone whose brain often runs the risk of overheating due to overthinking, I’m sure the mindfulness element of reading is a huge reason why I’m such a book addict.

If there is music on, I vote for no lyrics; otherwise I struggle focusing on reading sentences while listening to entirely different words at the same time. Talking about specific music genres, I always choose classical or Celtic songs, since I don’t find those too distracting...but I repeat: I prefer quiet!

How about you? Do you care one way or the other whether or not there’s music on while you’re reading? Does it depend what type of music?

No comments:

Post a Comment