Friday, April 5, 2013

The Art of Reading: Eating While Reading


The Art of Reading: Eating While Reading

All bibliophiles have at least one thing in common: the love of books. Still, as I'm reminded every time I talk to another reader, that doesn't mean we express our affection for the written word in exactly the same way. I'm referring to how we read.

This post's theme: eating while reading. So...do you? Or does the thought appall you - food stains! What about drinking? If yes, do you have any favorite reading treats?

I confess that this isn't one of "The Art of Reading" topics about which I feel particularly strongly. For the most part, I don't eat while reading, but not because I have a firm rule. I suppose I do worry about spilling on my books, and then there's the element of hassle - figuring out how best to hold open the book while lifting a fork to your mouth, unwrapping a chocolate, or cracking open a nut, etc. I do eat while reading occasionally, though: usually only when a book has me so riveted that it's either eat while reading or go without food until I finish! However, I drink all the time while reading. Water, obviously. (I hear that stuff’s good for you.) Also, tea. Lots and lots of tea! I grew up in California, but being born in England and raised by a British mother left its mark; she passed along her addiction to PG tips. For me, true relaxation is a book in one hand and a steaming cup of PG tips in the other.

A Shelf Awareness article drew my attention to this topic. For all that I read often, and think and talk about reading as well, I don't put much thought into this eating/drinking while reading discussion, so I was surprised by how many people eagerly chimed in. Many people have favorite reading snacks or even prefer certain snacks depending on the type of book! One woman admitted she uses the book as a snack guideline: one chip every five pages, one chocolate every chapter, and so on.

So how about you? Do you read and/or drink while reading? If so, do you have favorite snacks or even page count reward guidelines? If you don’t like to eat and read at the same time, why not?

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly even get my face out of the book long enough to get food, let alone stop to actually eat the food.

    ReplyDelete