Friday, September 7, 2012

UNSPOKEN


Review of UNSPOKEN by SARAH REES BRENNAN
(first in THE LYNBURN LEGACY series, review based on an advance reading copy)

I’ve never read anything by Sarah Rees Brennan before, though I know fellow readers who heap praise on her work. Now I see why! "Good" doesn't do UNSPOKEN justice; it's compulsively readable.

With a boiled down description, UNSPOKEN doesn't sound all that unique and, in fact, the magical elements and many plot twists aren't that new. It's the characters who make this story incredible. At first glance, Kami's life seems normal enough, except that since birth she's communicated with a voice in her a head, a boy named Jared. I loved Kami and the tone of this book immediately. Brennan can make you laugh and cry within the same page, perhaps even within one sentence. The novel bounces chaotically between hilarious and intense and builds to an unexpected, breathtaking climax.

The dialogue doesn't feel that realistic. However, I don't necessarily mean that as a criticism, since it's thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless. All of Brennan's characters - kids, teenagers, and adults alike - are smart and funny, making the exchanges between them highly entertaining even if similar traits run through everyone. Kami's one of those protagonists who's so well-written that I crawled into her mind (had to nudge Jared over a little to make room for me) and felt everything she felt.

Some readers may find themselves frustrated by the ending, which is a bit of an emotional cliffhanger. Myself, I can't quite put my feelings in terms or "like" or "didn't like." The ending broke my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm so envious right now! I've been excited about this book for months. I'm hoping for characters I'll love as much as those in her Demon's Lexicon books.

    ReplyDelete