Friday, July 27, 2012

LET'S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED


Review of LET'S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED by JENNY LAWSON
(review based on an advance reading copy) 

Concise review: hilarious.  

Oh, that's considered lazy now, is it? Very well then.  

I read parts of this memoir while on an elliptical at the gym...and I'm fairly certain the people next to me now think I'm crazy, because I couldn't entirely muffle those frequent giggles and snorts. 

Not every line is funny, of course - you have to wait for those that resonate with you - but this book did have me choking on my own laughter more than once. There’s a rambling quality that either means Lawson has mastered conversational tone or honestly jotted down every tangent that came into her head without a filter! Be warned that the humor isn't for everyone. Many stories revolve around her father’s obsession with taxidermy (gore and guts included) and I suspect Lawson might have coprolalia (what many people inaccurately refer to as Tourette’s syndrome). If neither of those things turn you off, then read on, brave soul (pronounced: naïve innocent.).

Though humor’s the selling point, this is foremost a memoir and Lawson doesn’t steer away from tough subjects, such as loss. Once or twice she admits she simply cannot make something funny. Ultimately, this memoir follows someone who knows how to find humor where you wouldn’t expect it. A kind of glass half full mentality…except the glass is more than a little cracked, if you know what I mean.

If you want a teaser, check out this post on Lawson’s blog (the origin of her fame for those who don’t know) about perspective, marital disputes, and a giant metal chicken. If you laugh, you must buy this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment